5 Surprising Facts About Patios in Australia
Have you ever wanted to get the scoop on patios? Well, today’s your lucky day! We’ve done some digging and uncovered five fun facts about patios that you probably didn’t know. Read on to find out what they are!
- Patios have been around since the first settlers arrived in Australia. Back then, they were called verandahs and were used as a sheltered area for people to relax and entertain guests. Over time, the term “verandah” has evolved into “patio”—an outdoor space for gathering with friends and family.
- The first patented patio was born in Australia in 1990, by Anthony Dorey from Perth. His invention was an aluminium frame patio built with a steel sub-frame which could be easily assembled and dismantled, making it perfect for those who moved around frequently or had limited storage space at home.
- According to Australian Bureau of Statistics data, Australians spent $13 billion on outdoor living spaces between 2009-2018, making it one of the most popular home improvements of all time!
- While we may think of patios as outdoor entertainment areas, they can also be used for more private purposes too—such as yoga studios, home offices or even art galleries!
- The average Australian spends over 90 hours per year relaxing on their patio—that’s almost four full days just chilling outside!
So there you have it—five interesting facts about patios that you probably didn’t know before reading this blog post! Did any of the facts surprise you? If you’re thinking about adding a patio to your home this summer, contact Coastal Patios today for a free consultation – we’d love to help turn your outdoor dreams into reality!